Sunday, August 29, 2010

Crank Response Questions

*Throughout the novel, you will be required to write 5-10 paragraphs in which you respond to something in each chapter or something that draws your attention and apply it to your life.

1. How would you describe Bree? Is this the same way that Kristina
would describe her? Where did Bree come from?
2. For Kristina, what is the lure of crystal meth? What does it provide
for her? What does it take away?
3. Describe Kristina's mother, father, and stepfather. Are they in any
way responsible for her addiction? Do you think that there's
anything else they could have -- or should have -- done to help
her?
4. Why is Kristina drawn to Adam? To Chase? To Brendan? In what
ways are these three similar and in what ways are they different?
How does Kristina's relationship with each one affect her? Which
boy is most harmful to her?
5. Why does Kristina decide to keep her baby? What reasons might
she have had for giving it up? Do you think she made the right
decision?
6. Why does Kristina always call crank "the monster"? How do you
think her renaming of the drug affects her attitude toward it and
her sense of responsibility regarding it? Are there other things or
people in the story that get renamed? How does this affect the way
in which they are regarded?
7. Kristina sometimes refers to herself and her life before drugs as
boring and worthless, yet at other times she seems to regard it as
something very precious. What attitude do you think is closest to
her true feelings? Do you think those around her would agree with
her assessment?
8. The author chose to write this story in verse. Why do you think that
she chose this format? What effect does this have on how you feel
about the characters and events?
9. What is the overall message of this book? Do you think the story
will act as a deterrent for teens who are considering drugs?


Activities: Pick 1
1. As we can see in Crank, poetry allows us to express ourselves in
new and creative ways. Write a poem or series of poems about
something that has happened in your life.
2. Choose a drug -- crystal meth or some other drug that you've heard
of -- and research its effects on the user. Find out exactly what it
does in the body, how long the side effects last, how much it
typically costs, and any other pertinent facts.
3. Kristina has an alter ego who allows her to be more careless and
daring. What would your alter ego be like? Choose a name, list all
the character traits s/he would have, and list the things that s/he
could help you do. Imagine what your life would be like if you acted
more like your alter ego.
4. Write a short story about what you think will happen to Kristina and
her baby after the events depicted in the book.
5. There are several other books about teenage drug addiction,
including Go Ask Alice and Smack. Read one of these other books
and compare it to Crank.

6 comments:

  1. Just finished the book! It was really good, even though it irritated me to no end! In very few ways can I relate to Kristina/Bree. Kristina's parents are divorced like mine, and I can see and understand when she says she gets over looked in her family. When divorces happen, some people turn to alcohol, self abuse, or drugs like Kristina did. When my parents got divorced, I didn't turn to any of these; instead I turned to God and my family for help. I think if Kristina would of been led down the same path I did things would of turned out a lot better for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finished the book on 10-9-10 and I was so surprised at how much I enjoyed and got into reading this book. If you know me I don't really like reading much and I was just astonished by this book. I can't relate to the Kristina/Bree dilemma. My parents aren't divorced either but I know some of my friends parents are divorced and they sometimes get overlooked like Kristina. I know that I will never do drugs or even touch drugs. I think Kristina would have been fine if she never went to her Dad's and then she wouldn't have met the monster. Kristina's life could've been different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crank held my interest throughout the entire book. I was absolutely speechless at times in the book when a verse was written and could be seen in many different perspectives. My favorite part in the book was on page 207, which is a prayer written in the shape of a cross. Crank speaks in so many different ways which are incredible. One in particular way I was astonished by was the way Ellen Hopkins wrote the book in the perspective of the addict. This is a way I could connect not only with the character, but understand some of Kristina's psychology of why she did things the way she did. I have a cousin who has been away from home for a year and half because of her addiction to cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs. I didn't understand why she was doing the things she did. While reading Crank it opened my eyes to the fact that when you are depressed and are desperate for attention you will do anything to try and make yourself happy. Although I was furious with the way my cousin and Kristina handled the situation she was in, Crank helped me put myself in their shoes and see what I would do in that situation.
    I am so happy that I read Crank and would recommend it to any young person to see the perspective of an addict.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book was a shocker to me, I liked it very much and thought it was one of the best books I have ever read. I'm not so sure if I can relate to Kristina that much because I don't those good grades and I'm not really shy, and I'm not like Bree because I don't do drugs and I honestly don't wanna try drugs. I have never been in her positions but I often wonder what it would be like. By the time she was pregnant I was speechless, I kept wondering how this girl who does meth almost 24/7 is gonna stop for one person, can she do it? I hope to find out in the next book Glass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought crank was a good book. It kept my attention the whole time. Crank was an easy book to follow. I don't like reading very much and I'm slow too, but I got through this book fast. I thought that Kristina's dad was a big reason she started to do crank. Her dad should have not let Kristina do drugs and he should of stopped her. It's sad that there are parents like Kristina's parents in the real world. Her parents should have been more responsible and made sure she is making the right choices. I'm very glad that I have the parents I do. I never understood why people did drugs and why they just couldn't stop, but this book really made a better understanding for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you all know i hate to read books. But this book surprise me on how it kept me wanting to know more about what will happen next. The book opened my eyes to how badly drugs can effect people and their lives. I cant relate to kristina/bree because my parents are not divorced and i dont do drugs and i dont plan on it!!!!

    ReplyDelete